Episode 39: Batfacts Podcats
|Episode 39: #Batfacts #Podcats|
|Tetrapod Zoology Podcast|
|Published||10 February 2015|
|Darren is||Dame Kiri Te Kanawa|
|Darren Tweets at||"Patience! For the Jedi it is time to eat as well" @TetZoo|
John: This is another great part of the show: Darren scrolls through Twitter while mumbling.
Darren: Um... Camera films... frog tongues... actinoptergian fish... frog tongues... Permian Bears... Jurassic World... Liam Neeson's daughter... uh... True Grit... Hook Island Sea Monster... T-shirts... Sea monsters... Tyrannosaurs versus bees (what?)... back from the woods... tongue protrusion in frogs... car wrecks... Georgia pigs... vaccinating your kids... fossil anchovies (Yaaaaay!)
- Darren messed up heliocentrism.
- In Rio the main characters are Blue Macaws (meant to be Spix Macaws) and the baddie is a Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo.
News from the World of Darren and John
- Darren is working on three books. Taking a break on fish to work on bats. Started #batfacts. They're the adult stage of rodents! There are over 8 species of bat, maybe over 9! The Tab key was originally a Bat key! Et cetera.
- Another hashtag: #buildabetterfaketheropod in response to Indominus rex looking lame.
- Another hashtag: #TetZooNameGame. Answers are on this wiki.
- Discussion of Fortitude that Darren sorta half-watched. Shouldn't this have been in Popular Tat?
News from the World of News
- Save Dippy, the Carnegie Diplodocus. John and Darren are on neither Team Whale nor Team Dippy. The Diplodocus skeleton is a good hook, but it's old and change could be good. A Blue Whale skeleton could be important for sending a message about conservation biology, but it could be viewed as overbearing and not as much of a draw.
- There is a Finding Bigfoot UK... and it was an embarrassment! It starts in London, for one thing.
- Jurassic snakes! They're more closely related to burrowers than monitors and mosasaurs and at least their heads evolved pretty early on.
- Strix hadorami was recently described, formerly lumped in with Hume's Owl (Strix butleri). Darren then Googles stuff and mumbles.
- New tapir or something.
Cash for Questions
- (41:49) Should Godzilla have feathers?
- (45:59) The plausibility of Adrienne Mayor and archaeocryptozoology.
- (54:50) More on parthenogenesis.
(1:05:57) A review of the film Lucy.